Priority Support

If you’re a Pro user, please open a support ticket.

Notifications
Clear all

Content Filter – Wish List

Topic starter
(@thecpanelguy)

Been using UB for about a month now so still getting used to things a bit. Currently, I am loving the Content Filter block but I find a few things about it lacking so I wanted to mention them here where it might be reasonable to ask for a change. These options/changes would make mine and many others life’s easier when using the block. 

1. Cannot Reorder 

If you create the filters like so:

[chrome] [firefox] [edge] [opera] [safari]

There is no way to move the [edge] filter left or right without creating all new filters and removing the old ones.

I would like to see support for moving the filters just like you can reorder the content blocks

2. Sort Options

I would like to see support for automatic sorting of filters, with reverse sort option.

3. Default Filter Selection

I would like to be able to define a default filter (or filters in case of multi-select) for each category of filters

4. Icon Support for Filter

Currently filters only support inline images, which has its own set of challenges when trying to style the box, mainly with alignment of the text and icon. However there is already multiple blocks that include icon support for all installed icons 

5. User-Level Save State

A nice feature that would make things easier on the reader is if we saved the state of the selected filters in a cookie so that when a user returns to a page they’ve visited before, it will remember the filters they had selected.

6. Support for Title Headings

The Title of the filter content block is very large by default. I would like the option to select which heading, div, paragraph, etc element type the title uses.

7. Icon Support in Title

I would also like to have built-in support for selecting and displaying an icon along with the Title of the block.

8. Subtitle Support

In addition to the existing Title element, and the requested improvements above, I would also like to see a subtitle option for a secondary description below the Title element that is compatible with adding blocks and not just a forced paragraph. 

9. Global Filter Setting

A check box that enables global filters on the current filter block. Global Filters would serve to link multiple filter blocks so that they all use the same set of filters and selecting one select that filter in all other global filters. This would allow for more flexibility in how to place content filter blocks while eliminating the need for end-users to click the same [chrome] or [opera] filter on each block on the page. 

In conclusion, I appreciate the effort and work done so far to make the addon. These features would help me stick with UB instead of finding another solution that can address more of these asks. Spectra is one I find to be a direct competitor to UB and it’s focus on author control over most of the styling available to each item is superior to UB, but I think that is a gap that UB can bridge with targeting the same features and giving access to all of the advanced styling options for a given element.

Thanks for your time and consideration

1 Reply
Admin
(@imtiazrayhan23)

Hi,

Welcome to the community.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide the feedback and suggestions. 

1. Cannot Reorder – this is on our to-do list. It will be available in future release. I don’t have an exact timeline. But it will definitely be added.

2. Sort options – I don’t exactly understand this, if possible please elaborate a little bit more on this.

3. Default Filter(s) Selection – This is a feature that will be added to the pro version of the plugin. The pro version will be released soon, but this feature will make it to a future release.

4. Icon Support – Also a pro version addition, will come in a future release of pro version.

5. User-Level Save State – This is something we haven’t thought of before. I will add it to our list and we will do some thinking on it.

6. Support for Title Headings – This is in the pipeline for the free version.

7. Icon Support in Title – This is not something we had considered. If we do, it might go to pro version as part of the icon implementation.

8. Subtitle Support – We can add this to the list of free version additions, but it might not be a top priority.

9. Global Filter Setting – I am not sure about this one. We will have to look more into it.

We do understand the lack of styling and customization features compared to other custom blocks plugins, but I want to share with you that some of it is intentional. Most of the times, what we understood from the users, is that they want something that works out of the box. They want to focus more on the content itself, and we agree with that point of view. We aspire to keep the plugin simple.

In the past, we have added features that users requested. And sometimes, we realized it might have been a more special use-case, not a general use-case. That can bloat the plugin for other users.

Of course that doesn’t mean we will not add more customizing options as requested by users. We will, but definitely not for every single part or elements of a block. So, when we run into feature requests like the one you posted (amazingly written by the way), instead of adding everything, we try to take some time to think whether it can be something that will benefit all users, without bloating the plugin too much. 

This is why feedback like yours is so important to move forward with the development, that helps us to make better decisions.

I really appreciate you taking the time suggest this features. And we will try our best to incorporate as much of it as possible.

Please reach back anytime with any issues or suggestions.

Kind regards.

Get the Best Blocks Plugin at 20% OFF!

X
Need help?